The following birding ethics are summarized from the American Birding Association.
- Promote the welfare of birds and their environment.
- Support the protection of important bird habitat.
- Minimize stress on birds by keeping your distance while viewing, photographing, or filming.
- Stay back from nests, nesting colonies, and display areas.
- Stay on designated roads and trails.
- Respect the law, and the rights of others.
- Respect private property.
- Follow the laws that apply to the roads and trails.
- Practice common courtesy to other birders and non-birders.
- Keep groups to a small size (4-8 people).
When birding in groups, each member of the group is responsible for upholding all of the above items.
If you witness unethical birding or wildlife viewing, educate others with respect.